Sunday, November 23, 2008

Until we meet again Luke...

LUKE
April 23 1999-November 23rd 2008


For as long as I can remember I wanted a yellow Lab dog. I have always had a fondness for the breed. 9 1/2 years ago I met Luke for the first time. He was a round, fluffy, yellow fur ball who was living on a family farm and was the last pup in his liter. He didn't pay any attention to me as he was running after the neighborhood kids. I instantly fell in love with Luke and I took him home that day. Luke got his name from the main character of Star Wars, Luke Sky Walker. I named him this because I knew how much Seth liked the movie and I wasn't even supposed to be getting a pet dog.

Later that night when Seth was coming home from work I prepared him for the newest member of our family by saying "You are going to be mad for a minute, but once you see you will get over it." I was right because as soon as Seth saw Luke and was greeted by those big brown eyes, wagging tail, and puppy kisses he too was in love.

Since that day we have enjoyed 9 great years with Luke. He moved with us and lived in 6 different houses, 4 different states, and two different coasts. He swam in the pacific and the Atlantic oceans, a few lakes, streams, and swimming pools as well. There has been many a bush sniffed and tree marked by our pal Luke.

He welcomed and loved our two sweet children into the family. He greeted friends and strangers alike and always had a smile on his face.

Luke loved to chase balls and could run like the wind. He was a great swimmer as well and loved to swim any chance he could get. I will always be grateful to him for being such a great sport with Wyatt. Wyatt absolutely loved his friend Luke. Wyatt would always drag Luke into the backyard to "keep an eye" on him. Luke was such a good sport and would diligently sit outside while Wyatt played and would even let Wyatt drag him all around and boss him around too!

Luke was also very protective of our family. He would bark like a mad man anytime the door bell would ring. He would shove past you and be in front of you when you opened the door. Although it drive me insane most times there were instances where I was grateful when someone frightening would come to my door. In his old age his barking got to be a bit much. It seemed he barked at every little sound. But now I miss that sound!

Luke also loved to eat! Some of his favorites were peanut butter, cheese, and bread. You had to really be careful what you left lying around or it may not be there once you got back. One time when we ran out for a quick errand Luke somehow got into the Pantry and ate 5 boxes of Fiber One Granola bars!!! There was also the time when he ate threw my bag to get at a granola bar I had zipped inside. He also ate threw Wyatt's back pack to get at something inside. Yep Luke loved to eat anything he could get his his paws on.

One of his favorite places to be at in the house was lying in our closet and in front of the shower door. Most mornings I would have to give him a few good pushes with the shower door in order to get him to move so I could get out of the shower. He loved to hang out in the bathroom!

Luke had the softest ears you've ever felt!!! But his favorite place to be pet was on his belly! He would sneeze several times when you would rub his belly. Anytime you would go to pet him he would instantly roll onto his back for a belly rub. Luke also was determined to get everyone to like him. If he sensed you didn't care for him or for dogs he would try that much harder. He aimed to please and would follow guests in our home wherever they went even waiting outside the bathroom door!!!

It breaks my heart to have to say goodbye to my dear friend Luke. The illness he was fighting took his life quickly. It seemed to me that he was sad to see us so sad! Almost as if he was worrying about US during his final hours. He fought the illness as long as he could and we had to let him go. As much as I would have like to spend even a few more hours with my sweet dog Luke I could not be so selfish to ask him to continue on in pain and sickness.

I can only hope that we did the right thing in having Luke put to sleep when we did. The doctor reassured us that we were making the right decision. He reassured me that it was the most humane and peaceful way for Luke to pass. We got to hold him and pet him and tell him how much we love him and how much we would miss him. Although it was so hard I am glad he went how he did and that he seemed at peace and not in pain. I am glad I got to hold him and pet him as he made his final journey to return to his Maker.

Seeing my son cry and ask me over and over again if his dog is really dead is heartbreaking. Although I had been talking to him before this all happened you can never really prepare a 4 year old for the death of his first pet. I can only hope the memories and good times he had with Luke will help.

My home doesn't feel the same. Something is missing and every where I turn I am looking and listening for Luke. Every room and corner of my home reminds me of my friend. I know in time it will get easier and my life will return to normal. But for now words can not express how much I miss him.

Luke thank you! Thank you for being a part of my life and my family. Thank you for being my loyal and loving companion for 9 wonderful years. You are a joy and a light in my life and my heart than can never be replaced. I will forever remember you and your sweet smiling face.


Until we meet again my friend...


17 comments:

Chrissie a.k.a. HoneyB said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm crying for you. I know what it's like I lost both my husky (who I had before I ever had kids) and my loyal cat (who followed me everywhere). No other fur baby will ever take his place. It's like loosing a child. You have some wonderful memories of Luke. Hugs to you all.

CntryMomma said...

Awww man, you've got me bawling! :o( I am so so sorry. You wrote a beautiful tribute entry. Beautiful. I had to laugh when mentioned him eating the granola bars. LOL I remember you saying from time to time how sneaky he could be. LOL

I am firm believer that "all dogs go to heaven." Give Wyatt a big hug for me, k?

LORI

June said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My family lost our dog two years ago and it still hurts.
Hugs,
June

Kathy said...

What a beautiful entry. I feel as though I have lost Luke as well. I know that emptiness when a dear friend is gone. Hugs to you all.

Natalie said...

Oh, Kara, I'm so sorry. I know how much you loved Luke. Thank you for sharing your favorite memories of him with all of us.

Rachelle and sometimes Katelyn said...

Kara, So sorry to hear about Luke, Jason was so sad for your family when he came home from H.T. He really felt bad and didn't know how to help you. He sure loves your family and loves being your H.T. I am sorry for your loss, and your right, you will see him again. :)

Arlene (AJ) said...

Kara my heart aches for all of you losing your other darling "Luke". I've been in your shoes when we had to make that choice for our Princess and Quintessa, so truly understand all of your sadness. You did the right thing dear, it's out of love that we allow ourselves to let our pets be free of pain. Luke knew all of you loved him by not letting him suffer any more. Enjoy your memories of him, he'll live in your hearts always. Might buy a doggie ornament for Wyatt to put on the Christmas tree as his way of saying I remember and love you Luke. Bless you all. Hope you can feel the hug I'm sending.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

My heart and prayers are with you all, Kara. I know what it means to loose a beloved friend like that.

Vickie said...

I had a husky/shepherd mix that I had to have put down a couple years ago (she had cancer). It really is a tough choice to make, but in some ways I feel like I waited too long with my dog because I didn't want to let her go. As it was, I couldn't stand not having a dog. I brought home a pound puppy within a week. He's three now, and the girls love him.

Lisa said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about Luke. Our Maggie looks just like your Luke... only she's a girl and they are both yellow labs.

Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving... I'm so behind in journal reading Kara but sending lots of hugs to your family.
Lisa

Connie said...

Ohh, so sorry that I'm on vaca when you need I need to be there to console you! I know this is the first family loss that you're going through and it truly falls on your heart like a ton of bricks. So difficult. I love you and will talk to you soon!

Terri said...

((((((((((Kara)))))))))))))

Goodness I am just a bawling mess...I am sooo sorry for your loss.

I too have a furbaby...I know how much they mean to our families..they are a part of our family!

Love the pic ~ so precious...

Big hugs my friend
Terri

Rose said...

I am so sorry Kara, my dog trooper dead nearly 2 years ago, we still miss him everyday. he was a brittney spaniel and "big brother " to our lab mix bandit. Labs are the best! love, rose

Holly said...

Kara, I am so sorry for your loss. We lost two kitties while we lived in Rhode Island and it is a tough thing to go through. I am giving your hugs.

Sandra said...

Oh Kara, I`m so sorry that you have lost your beloved Luke, I know how much you loved him. It really hurts when you lose a dear pet and being a labrador owner and one who has lost a beautiful female lab, Hannah. I know just how you are feeling. Take care.

Love and Hugs

Sandra xxxx

Lippy said...

Some might say that it is so sad that Ol' Luke passed so close to the holiday, but I think it will be just one more reason to keep his memory alive.

I'm so sorry that Luke is gone now, but I just wanted to agree that while it's a tough decision, making the humane choice is always the best way to go.

Hope you're ok

Helen said...

I am so sorry about Luke. He looked like such a sweet and caring dog. May God with you and your family in his loss. Hugs, Helen